Ultrasounds are a safe and effective way to evaluate your reproductive system during pregnancy and for other health issues. At Fort Worth Obstetrics & Gynecology, the team of expert women’s health specialists performs ultrasounds in their Fort Worth, Texas, office for your convenience. Call the office or book your ultrasound online today.
What are ultrasounds?
Ultrasound is a test that uses sound waves to create real-time images of your internal organs. At Fort Worth Obstetrics & Gynecology, the team of experts performs ultrasound tests in the office. This saves you the trouble of going to a hospital or an external medical testing site.
Your medical care team gets immediate access to your ultrasound images through the in-office system, which means you get results faster.
What can I learn from pregnancy ultrasounds?
Ultrasounds are an important diagnostic test during pregnancy for several reasons. Some of the information available from a pregnancy ultrasound include:
- Learning the sex of your baby
- Checking gestational age
- Checking your baby’s heartbeat
- Screening for congenital disabilities
- Monitoring your baby’s growth
- Checking your baby’s position
- Monitoring amniotic fluid levels
- Checking your baby’s oxygen supply
While ultrasounds are best known as a tool for pregnancy screenings, they’re also essential for other health issues.
When might I need a diagnostic ultrasound outside of pregnancy?
Ultrasound can help your providers make a diagnosis if you’re having gynecological issues. The Fort Worth Obstetrics & Gynecology team uses ultrasound to view not only your uterus but also your cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and vagina from within. Ultrasound can help to:
- Find the reason for heavy bleeding
- Determine the cause of bleeding after menopause
- Find the cause of severe cramping or pelvic pain
- Identify ectopic pregnancy
- Identify fibroids, cysts, and other abnormal masses
- Check the placement of an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Evaluate ovarian follicles in an infertility screening
Ultrasound guidance can also help surgeons during procedures to pinpoint problems and administer treatment with maximum precision.
How do I prepare for ultrasounds?
If you need to prepare in any particular way, the Fort Worth Obstetrics & Gynecology team gives you directions ahead of time.
Usually, you need to drink a full glass of water for ultrasounds and hold your bladder for at least an hour before the procedure to improve visibility. You can use the restroom on-site immediately after your ultrasound.
Fort Worth Obstetrics & Gynecology uses state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment to give you the most reliable information in the safest way. Call the office to book your ultrasound or schedule an appointment online today.